What is it?
A custom built arcade machine for home.
Supports MAME, Megadrive, Super Nintendo and Amiga seamlessly, with the possibility of editing a simple configuration file to add support for further emulators.
How is it done?
- "Flat Pack" arcade cabinet from Arcade World UK.
- Arcade parts: joysticks, buttons and speakers.
- Buttons and joysticks wired using the IPAC2 keyboard encoder for compatability with emulators.
- Old 20" TFT with 4:3 aspect ratio to maximize screen size and maintain arcade scaling.
- Old Core 2 Duo Desktop PC.
- LED Strips.
- Bezel and Marquee graphics created in GIMP and printed at the local copy store.
- GNU/Linux Mint 17 with custom startup script.
- Custom written game launcher (see here).
- MAME for arcade game emulation. modified to remove "nag screens" from game startup.
- FS-UAE for Amiga game emulation. Modified to accept key combination in lieu of mouse clicks (some games require a mouse click to bypass a splash screen).
- ZSNES for Super Nintendo emulation.
- Gens for Sega Genesis/Megadrive emulation.
- All emulators modified to exit on the ESCAPE key.